Our guild has been issuing challenges for the past year or so, an attempt to get members to finish projects, rather than just begin new ones. We were asked in June to find two projects, one with a Christmas theme, to complete by our party on December 15th. My first was a 9 patch red and white top that wasn’t the best constructed quilt I’ve ever done, but I decided to practice some of my free motion skills with my first feathered wreath. I wish that I had gone over the back with a pair of scissors and clipped threads and used two layers of batting to make the feathers more puffy , but it still managed to collect a blue ribbon at the Blue Hill Fair.
My second challenge quilt was a pile of fabrics in July, featuring the only Christmas fabric I had in my stash. I said that I would make Union Stars and the size would be determined by how far the fabric went. As you can see, I managed to make a throw size quilt and had just enough blue grey flowered fabrics to finish the border.
My current quilting project is this red/brown/tan throw quilt that I’m having so much fun with making little variegated flowers and leaves. I was going to crosshatch the center squares, but I ripped it out after realizing how much thread it would use because I can’t sew it in a continuous line. The stippling looks better than the straight lines, emphasizing the more elaborate free motion work.