I’ve been sewing up a storm this past week: in charge of a mini-mystery for our guild even though I’ve never participated in a mystery quilt before, sewing stuff for and working at the craft co-op, starting work on two challenges my guild has begun for the fall, finishing the top of my row-by-row quilt, and quilting lots of feathers for a modern wall hanging. I’m also in charge of publicity for the guild’s quilt show next month so I’ve been hanging posters all over town and writing lots of press releases.
I quilted a top for one of my husband’s co-workers with an overall leaf and loop pattern.
Last year at the state show in Augusta, I took a modern quilt class and finally finished quilting it. I wish I had made the rows straight across rather than emerging from the larger cube, like a starburst, but I wasn’t about to pick out the 1/4 I had already done, so I just finished it.
I’m taking a class by Sue Nickels at the state show this year on feathers and stippling. In anticipation I bought her book and started my practice a little early. I’m hoping she can look at my work and give me some pointers.
Over the past year our guild has been working on different techniques for blocks, such as 4 different ways to make 1/2 square triangles and 3 different methods of flying geese. I learned a lot of things, including a more efficient method of paper piecing and that I hate to piece curves (no drunkard’s path quilts in my future!). I set off the rows with wide chunks of solid fabrics to hopefully show off some free-motion quilting. In writing this, I realized that I “forgot” to finish the row of applique blocks, maybe I’ll use that one block I did make as the label on the back.
These tote bags made from my chicken’s feed sacks are flying off the shelves at the local craft co-op.
This 4 patch posy is made of soccer and flag fabric, so appropriate for the recent World Cup games. Our guild makes lots of children’s quilts for Bags of Love and that is where this one is headed after I put on a border and quilt it.
I made these little bags out of upholstery samples from the local furniture store. I’m using one made with a black and white Greek Key fabric as my new summer purse. They took about 20 minutes to make and are so cute!
This past March, a bunch of us went to a 3 day retreat in Bar Harbor. I finished all 25 blocks by the end of the weekend and finished the top a few weeks ago. I want to really do some fancy quilting to finish it right, but figuring out exactly what to do takes some time. At least, that’s my excuse for not getting started.